威望: 10
浮云: 189
在线等级:
注册时间: 2005-09-22
最后登陆: 2009-11-09

5come5帮你背单词 [ thigh /θai/ n. 股,大腿 ]

每天一个禅学故事(80/101)

A Cup of Tea

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

[ 此贴被laputa在2007-01-21 11:54重新编辑 ]
本帖最近评分记录:
  • 浮云:20 (by 农药)
  • 浮云:10 (by channing) | 理由: 貌似有点深奥,鼓励下.大家一起讨论嘛~~
  • 顶端 Posted: 2006-11-04 17:42 | [楼 主]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    性别: 帅哥 状态: 该用户目前不在线
    头衔: 你较真活该你不high
    等级: 资政组
    家族: 战略研究所
    发贴: 3416
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ solidarity /soli'dæriti/ n. 团结 ]

Quote:
    引用第1楼植物手机链于2006-11-04 18:17发表的:
    too abstruse

maybe because we are far away from life.
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-04 18:58 | [1 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ disturbance /dis'tə:bəns/ n. 动乱,骚动,打扰,干扰,(身心)失调 ]

禅的故事(zen story),I think we all can learn much from it. Sometimes,it can take you away from the modern life, just back to the truth, the true life.
    Like this story, Don't we act as that professor? Such as in this forum, we talk, we discuss, but just I say it the way i say it,you say it the way you say it, everybody just want to express himself, no listening.If we don't open our mind,what shall we learn from each other? So,before read these stroy,let's empty our cups first.
    Whatever,at least I hope girls would act more open.

有语法错误及不当用于请指正~~

[ 此贴被laputa在2006-11-04 20:55重新编辑 ]
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-04 19:33 | [2 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ customer /'kΛstəmə/ n. 顾客,主顾 ]

Finding a Diamond on a Muddy Road

Gudo was the emperor's teacher of his time. Nevertheless, he used to travel alone as a wandering mendicant. Once when he was on his was to Edo, the cultural and political center of the shogunate, he approached a little village named Takenaka. It was evening and a heavy rain was falling. Gudo was thoroughly wet. His straw sandals were in pieces. At a farmhouse near the village he noticed four or five pairs of sandals in the window and decided to buy some dry ones.

The woman who offered him the sandals, seeing how wet he was, invited him in to remain for the night at her home. Gudo accepted, thanking her. He entered and recited a sutra before the family shrine. He then was introduced to the woman's mother, and to her children. Observing that the entire family was depressed, Gudo asked what was wrong.

"My husband is a gambler and a drunkard," the housewife told him. "When he happens to win he drinks and becomes abusive. When he loses he borrows money from others. Sometimes when he becomes thoroughly drunk he does not come home at all. What can I do?"

I will help him," said Gudo. "Here is some money. Get me a gallon of fine wine and something good to eat. Then you may retire. I will meditate before the shrine."

When the man of the house returned about midnight, quite drunk, he bellowed: "Hey, wife, I am home. Have you something for me to eat?"

"I have something for you," said Gudo. "I happened to get caught in the rain and your wife kindly asked me to remain here for the night. In return I have bought some wine and fish, so you might as well have them."

The man was delighted. He drank the wine at once and laid himself down on the floor. Gudo sat in meditation beside him.

In the morning when the husband awoke he had forgotten about the previous night. "Who are you? Where do you come from?" he asked Gudo, who still was meditating.

"I am Gudo of Kyoto and I am going on to Edo," replied the Zen master.

The man was utterly ashamed. He apologized profusely to the teacher of his emperor.

Gudo smiled. "Everything in this life is impermanent," he explained. "Life is very brief. If you keep on gambling and drinking, you will have no time left to accomplish anything else, and you will cause your family to suffer too."

The perception of the husband awoke as if from a dream. "You are right," he declared. "How can I ever repay you for this wonderful teaching! Let me see you off and carry your things a little way."

"If you wish," assented Gudo.

The two started out. After they had gone three miles Gudo told him to return. "Just another five miles," he begged Gudo. They continued on.

"You may return now," suggested Gudo.

"After another ten miles," the man replied.

"Return now," said Gudo, when the ten miles had been passed.

"I am going to follow you all the rest of my life," declared the man.

Modern Zen teachers in Japan spring from the lineage of a famous master who was the successor of Gudo. His name was Mu-nan, the man who never turned back.
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-05 22:06 | [3 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ wound /wu:nd/ n. 伤,伤口;vt. 使受伤,伤害 ]

Is That So?

The Zen master Hakuin was praised by his neighbors as one living a pure life.

A beautiful Japanese girl whose parents owned a food store lived near him. Suddenly, without any warning, her parents discovered she was with child.

This made her parents very angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin.

In great anger the parents went to the master. "Is that so?" was all he would say.

After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbors and everything else the little one needed.

A year later the girl-mother could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - that the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fishmarket.

The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask his forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back again.

Hakuin was willing. In yielding the child, all he said was: "Is that so?"
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-07 11:18 | [4 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ artist /'a:tist/ a. 人工的,人造的,做作的,不自然的 ]

Obedience

The master Bankei's talks were attended not only by Zen students but by persons of all ranks and sects. He never quoted sutras nor indulged in scholastic dissertations. Instead, his words were spoken directly from his heart to the hearts of his listeners.

His large audiences angered a priest of the Nichiren sect because the adherents had left to hear about Zen. The self-centered Nichiren priest came to the temple, determined to debate with Bankei.

"Hey, Zen teacher!" he called out. "Wait a minute. Whoever respects you will obey what you say, but a man like myself does not respect you. Can you make me obey you?"

"Come up beside me and I will show you," said Bankei.

Proudly the priest pushed his way through the crowd to the teacher.

Bankei smiled. "Come over to my left side."

The priest obeyed.

"No," said Bankei, "we may talk better if you are on the right side. Step over here."

The priest proudly stepped over to the right

"You see," observed Bankei, "you are obeying me and I think you are a very gentle person. Now sit down and listen."
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-07 11:19 | [5 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ e.g. // n. 例如 ]

Quote:
    引用第4楼laputa于2006-11-05 22:06发表的:
    Finding a Diamond on a Muddy Road

Gudo was the emperor's teacher of his time. Nevertheless, he used to travel alone as a wandering mendicant. Once when he was on his was to Edo, the cultural and political center of the shogunate, he approached a little village named Takenaka. It was evening and a heavy rain was falling. Gudo was thoroughly wet. His straw sandals were in pieces. At a farmhouse near the village he noticed four or five pairs of sandals in the window and decided to buy some dry ones.

The woman who offered him the sandals, seeing how wet he was, invited him in to remain for the night at her home. Gudo accepted, thanking her. He entered and recited a sutra before the family shrine. He then was introduced to the woman's mother, and to her children. Observing that the entire family was depressed, Gudo asked what was wrong.

I don't quite believe this story,could a man change for a word?
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-08 09:15 | [6 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ polymer /'polimə/ n. 聚合物 ]

Quote:
    引用第5楼laputa于2006-11-07 11:18发表的:
    Is That So?

The Zen master Hakuin was praised by his neighbors as one living a pure life.

What a beautiful mind~~
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-08 09:15 | [7 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ assignment /ə'sainmənt/ n. 分派,分配,作业,任务 ]

If You Love, Love Openly

Twenty monks and one nun, who was named Eshun, were practicing meditation with a certain Zen master.

Eshun was very pretty even though her head was shaved and her dress plain. Several monks secretly fell in love with her. One of them wrote her a love letter, insisting upon a private meeting.

Eshun did not reply. The following day the master gave a lecture to the group, and when it was over, Eshun arose. Addressing the one who had written her, she said: "If you really love me so much, come and embrace me now."
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-08 09:17 | [8 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ wheat /wi:t/ n. 小麦 ]

No Loving - Kindness

There was an old woman in China who had supported a monk for over twenty years. She had built a little hut for him and fed him while he was meditating. Finally she wondered just what progress he had made in all this time.

To find out, she obtained the help of a girl rich in desire. "Go and embrace him," she told her, "and then ask him suddenly: 'What now?'"

The girl called upon the monk and without much ado caressed him, asking him what he was going to do about it.

"An old tree grows on a cold rock in winter," replied the monk somewhat poetically. "Nowhere is there any warmth."

The girl returned and related what he had said.

"To think I fed that fellow for twenty years!" exclaimed the old woman in anger. "He showed no consideration for your need, no disposition to explain your condition. He need not have responded to passion, but at least he could have evidenced some compassion;"

She at once went to the hut of the monk and burned it down.
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-10 22:11 | [9 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ great /greit/ a. 大的,巨大的,伟大的,重大的 ]

Quote:
    引用第13楼channing于2006-11-10 23:12发表的:

so this story just want to tell us that we should feel grateful and appriciation toward other's kindness..or want to convey something more deep.....

I don't think so...
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-13 15:07 | [10 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ tow /təu/ v. & n. 拖,拉,牵引 ]

Annoucement

Tanzan wrote sixty postal cards on the last day of his life, and asked an attendant to mail them. Then he passed away.

The cards read:

I am departing from this world.

This is my last announcement.

Tanzan
          July 27, 1892
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-13 15:19 | [11 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ ferment /'fə:ment/ v. 使发酵,骚动 n. 发酵;v. (使)发酵 ]

Quote:

The cards read:

I am departing from this world.

This is my last announcement.

Tanzan
        July 27, 1892

多么智慧啊
    怎么用英语说,how wise?
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-13 15:21 | [12 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ secondary /'sekəndəri/ a. 中等的,中学的,次要的,第二位的 ]

Great Waves

In the early days of the Meiji era there lived a well-known wrestler called O-nami, Great Waves.

O-nami was immensly strong and knew the art of wresting. In his private bouts he defeated even his teacher, but in public was so bashful that his own pupils threw him.

O-nami felt he should go to a Zen master for help. Hakuju, a wandering teacher, was stopping in a little temple nearby, so O-nami went to see him and told him of his great trouble.

"Great Waves is your name," the teacher advised, "so stay in this temple tonight. Imagine that you are those billows. You are no longer a wrestler who is afraid. You are those huge waves sweeping everything before them, swallowing all in their path. Do this and you will be the greatest wrestler in the land."

The teacher retired. O-nami sat in meditation trying to imagine himself as waves. He thought of many different things. Then gradualy he turned more and more to the feeling of waves. As the night advanced the waves became larger and larger. They swept away the flowers in their vases. Even the Buddha in the shrine was inundated. Before dawn the temple was nothing but the ebb and flow of an immense sea.

In the morning the teacher found O-nami meditating, a faint smile on his face. He patted the wrestler's shoulder. "Now nothing can disturb you," he said. "You are those waves. You will sweep everything before you."

The same day O-nami entered the wrestling contests and won. After that, no one in Japan was able to defeat him.
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-14 19:20 | [13 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ plentiful /'plentiful/ a. 富裕的,丰富的 ]

Quote:
    引用第17楼laputa于2006-11-14 19:20发表的:
    Great Waves

In the early days of the Meiji era there lived a well-known wrestler called O-nami, Great Waves.

O-nami was immensly strong and knew the art of wresting. In his private bouts he defeated even his teacher, but in public was so bashful that his own pupils threw him.

I don't understand this story..
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-14 19:52 | [14 楼]
    « 1 2345» Pages: ( 1/7 total )
    我来我网·5come5 Forum » 外语乐园

Total 0.015873(s) query 6, Time now is:06-16 11:31, Gzip enabled