我来我网
https://5come5.cn

您尚未 登录  注册 | 菠菜 | 软件站 | 音乐站 | 邮箱1 | 邮箱2 | 风格选择 | 更多 » 

本页主题: 佳作欣赏: My experience as a Volunteer 显示签名 | 打印 | 加为IE收藏 | 收藏主题 | 上一主题 | 下一主题

violin

性别: 帅哥 状态: 该用户目前不在线
头衔: ★宁静以致远★
等级: 荣誉会员
家族: 水族馆
发贴: 5630
威望: 3
浮云: 380
在线等级:
注册时间: 2007-10-04
最后登陆: 2008-06-12

5come5帮你背单词 [ mountain /'mauntin/ n. 山,高山,(pl.)山脉,大量 ]

佳作欣赏: My experience as a Volunteer

This summer, I did not go home; instead I served as a volunteer for “Good Luck Beijing sports events” held in Beijing for half a month. Sincerely speaking, the experience endows me a lot of valuable elicitation.

Hearing the news of approval, I was very excited, like a child got what he had expected for long. I was lucky, because I just passed the line. The contestants had to take an English exam, only those who got more than 70 could move on to the next selection stage. Meanwhile, I was grateful to use my endowment to contribute for the Olympic Games.

Wearing the volunteer uniform and the volunteer accreditation card, admired by others, I felt sneaky a little proud. Meanwhile I also felt a great responsibility falling on my shoulder knowing that volunteers’ words and behaviors could affect foreign guests’ impression on China. As I was a volunteer for accommodation, my post was in a four-star hotel. There were players of four teams form China, France, Japan, Czechoslovakia living there. All of them are participants of the baseball. Actually, most of the time, we served as interpreters for those working in the lobby. For example, when the players wanted to go out for shopping, we would call a taxi for them and told the taxi driver where to go. While, there is something worthwhile to be mentioned that most of the volunteers are English majors and most of the players could speak English very well except Japanese contestants. Compared with Japanese players, we had less difficulty communicating with French players and Czech. I remembered that once I misunderstood one of the Japanese players’ requests of “Call up” for “Cup of”, and I felt so embarrassed that I even wanted to cry. Gradually, I learned to be more carefully when talking to the non English native speakers.       

During the event lasting for less than 15 days, the most impressive experience was that I took 3 of the Japanese players to the Beijing Zoo. As the zoo is not far from the hotel, we walked there. On the way, they asked me about the beggars on the street in their just-so-so English, and I tried my best to explain, and even putting my mouth in to my mouth, indicating that they did not have enough to eat. But they still did not get me, which was really irritating. Reflecting that, I regret I did not learn Japanese hard enough.

These days, we have been studying the novel Wuthing Heights  written by Emily Bronte, and one of the clues is the identity of Catherine, whether Heathcliff or Edgar that she really love. As a human being, the most important thing is to identify who we are, so should we students. Living in a mixed society, having a definite knowledge of self-identity matters a lot. As a civilian, knowing what we really should do can have a great impact on both ourselves and the social civilization.

To make good preparation for the Olympic Games to be held next year, a tidal wave to learn English is in full wing nationally. Whether old or young, Beijingers are keen to leave an impressive Beijing, a high-qualified China for the world. I remember that when I was a volunteer as a teacher for old seniors in our community, one of my “students” is over 80 years. She was a engineer on architecture, and when she was young, she studied Russian instead of English as second language, so after retirement, she began to learn English, hoping that she could communicate with foreigners when the Olympic Games begins in 2008. In effect, her enthusiasm impressed me a lot and from then on, I examined myself again and make certain of who I am and what is my meaning of my life.

Endowed with life, we should be appreciative and make full use of ourselves. Holding Olympic Games in Beijing is an opportunity once of a time, we should do it well teeth and nail.

顶端 Posted: 2007-12-22 19:16 | [楼 主]
浪得虚名

头衔: 今日伏案绘文澜,明朝鹤立人海间
等级: 前途无量
家族: 梦魇图腾
发贴: 9339
威望: 0
浮云: 1176
在线等级:
注册时间: 2007-09-25
最后登陆: 2008-06-23

5come5帮你背单词 [ levy /'levi/ n. 征税,收税 ]

o  no  .
顶端 Posted: 2007-12-22 19:18 | [1 楼]
biweems

头衔: 蚊子也不想咬我
等级: 赏金猎人
家族: YD一族
发贴: 10674
威望: 6
浮云: 18857
在线等级:
注册时间: 2007-09-04
最后登陆: 2009-11-04

5come5帮你背单词 [ increasingly /in'kri:siŋli/ ad. 日益地,愈加地 ]

omg 闪人
顶端 Posted: 2007-12-22 19:18 | [2 楼]
卡佩西亚

性别: 美女 状态: 该用户目前不在线
等级: 人见人爱
发贴: 3441
浮云: 1149
在线等级:
注册时间: 2007-09-07
最后登陆: 2010-04-30

5come5帮你背单词 [ recollect /'ri:kə'lekt/ v. 回忆,追想 ]

Meanwhile I also felt a great responsibility falling on my shoulder knowing that volunteers’ words and behaviors could affect foreign guests’ impression on China.

Thanks for your efforts...
顶端 Posted: 2007-12-22 19:23 | [3 楼]
海兰

头衔: 再见了,我的大学
等级: 荣誉会员
家族: 低调一族
发贴: 9006
威望: 3
浮云: 406
在线等级:
注册时间: 2005-10-02
最后登陆: 2013-04-28

5come5帮你背单词 [ simply /'simpli/ ad. 仅仅,只,简直,完全,简单地,简易地 ]

while i can not tell where's the differences,  it's definitely written by a chinese but not a foreigner
顶端 Posted: 2007-12-22 19:25 | [4 楼]
moonchenchao

等级: 初出茅庐
发贴: 40
浮云: 1075
在线等级:
注册时间: 2007-06-22
最后登陆: 2008-06-29

5come5帮你背单词 [ ox /oks/ n. 牛,公牛 ]

收下了,谢LZ了