发贴: 3416
威望: 10
浮云: 189
在线等级:
注册时间: 2005-09-22
最后登陆: 2009-11-09

5come5帮你背单词 [ cream /kri:m/ a. 疯狂的,荒唐的,着迷的,狂热爱好的 ]

Stingy in Teaching

A young physician in Tokyo named Kusuda met a college friend who had been studying Zen. The young doctor asked him what Zen was.

"I cannot tell you what it is," the friend replied, "but one thing is certain. If you understand Zen, you will not be afraid to die."

"That's fine," said Kusuda. "I will try it. Where can I find a teacher?"

"Go to the master Nan-in," the friend told him.

So Kusuda went to call on Nan-in. He carried a dagger nine and a half inches long to determine whether or not the teacher was afraid to die.

When Nan-in saw Kusuda he exclaimed: "Hello, friend. How are you? We haven't seen each other for a long time!"

This perplexed Kusuda, who replied: "We have never met before."

"That's right," answered Nan-in. "I mistook you for another physician who is receiving instruction here."

With such a beginning, Kusuda lost his chance to test the master, so reluctantly he asked if he might receive Zen instruction.

Nan-in said: "Zen is not a difficult task. If you are a physician, treat you patients with kindness. That is Zen."

Kusuda visited Nan-in three times. Each time Nan-in told him the same thing. "A physician should not waste time around here. Go home and take care of you patients."

It was not yet clear to Kusuda how such teaching could remove the fear of death. So on his fourth visit he complained: "My friend told me when one learns Zen one loses the fear of death. Each time I come here all you tell me is to take care of my patients. I know that much. If that is your so-called Zen, I am not going to visit you any more."

Nan-in smiled and patted the doctor. "I have been too strict with you. Let me give you a koan." He presented Kusuda with Joshu's Mu to work over, which is the first mind enlightening problem in the book called The Gateless Gate.

Kusuda pondered this problem of Mu (No-Thing) for two years. At length he thought he had reached certainty of mind. But his teacher commented: "You are not in yet."

Kusuda continued in concentration for another year and a half. His mind became placid. Problems dissolved. No-Thing became the truth. He served his patients well and, without even knowing it, he was free from concern over life and death.

Then when he visited Nan-in, his old teacher just smiled.
顶端 Posted: 2006-11-27 17:11 | [45 楼]
laputa

年度之星奖
性别: 帅哥 状态: 该用户目前不在线
头衔: 你较真活该你不high
等级: 资政组
家族: 战略研究所
在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ cargo /'ka:gəu/ n. 货物,船货 ]

A Parable

Buddha told a parable in a sutra:

A man traveling across a field encountered a tiger. He fled, the tiger after him. Coming to a precipice, he caught hold of the root of a wild vine and swung himself down over the edge. The tiger sniffed at him from above. Trembling, the man looked down to where, far below, another tiger was waiting to eat him. Only the vine sustained him.

Two mice, one white and one black, little by little started to gnaw away the vine. The man saw a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other. How sweet it tasted!
本帖最近评分记录:
  • 浮云:30 (by hxf666) | 理由: 一起加了
  • 顶端 Posted: 2006-11-29 15:23 | [46 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ corner /'ko:nə/ n. 角落,街角,困境 ]

The First Principle

When one goes to Obaku temple in Kyoto he sees carved over the gate the words "The First Principle." The letters are unusually large, and those who appreciate calligraphy always admire them as being a masterpiece. They were drawn by Kosen two hundred years ago.

When the master drew them he did so on paper, from which workmen made the larger carving in wood. As Kosen sketched the letters a bold pupil was with him who had made several gallons of ink for the calligraphy and who never failed to criticize his master's work.

"That is not good," he told Kosen after the first effort.

"How is that one?"

"Poor. Worse than before," pronounced the pupil.

Kosen patiently wrote one sheet after another until eighty-four First Principles had been accumulated, still without the approval of the pupil.

Then, when the young man stepped outside for a few moments, Kosen thought: "Now is my chance to escape his keen eye," and he wrote hurridly, with a mind free from disctraction. "The First Principle."

"A masterpiece," pronounced the pupil.
    顶端 Posted: 2006-11-30 21:08 | [47 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ pan /pæn/ n. 平底锅 ]

A Mother's Advice

Jiun, a Shogun master, was a well-known Sanskrit scholar of the Tokugawa era. When he was young he used to deliver lectures to his brother students.

His mother heard about this and wrote him a letter.:

"Son, I do not think you became a devotee of the Buddha because you desired to turn into a walking dictionary for others. There is no end to information and commentation, glory and honor. I wish you would stop this lecture business. Shut yourself up in a little temple in a remote part of the mountain. Devote your time to meditation and in this way attain true realization."
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-01 14:00 | [48 楼]
    channing

贝尔诺勋章
    头衔: 挥手间, 已走远~~
    等级: 荣誉会员
    发贴: 3030
    威望: 4
    浮云: 448
    在线等级:
    注册时间: 2005-12-25
    最后登陆: 2015-04-05

5come5帮你背单词 [ efficient // a. 效率高的,有能力的 ]

Shut yourself up in a little temple in a remote part of the mountain. Devote your time to meditation and in this way attain true realization."

wow.....that's why recluses are very intelligent and full of wisdom..
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-01 14:08 | [49 楼]
    乖老鼠

贝尔诺勋章
    头衔: 《成电,十一点半》
    等级: DV组
    家族: 起早不摸黑
    发贴: 37705
    威望: 5
    浮云: 3384
    在线等级:
    注册时间: 2005-12-05
    最后登陆: 2021-06-26

5come5帮你背单词 [ requisite /'rekwizit/ a. 必要的,需要的;n. 必需品 ]

all of your articles are so long
    it is hard for me to understand
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-01 15:01 | [50 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ sincerity /sin'seriti/ n. 诚恳,诚挚 ]

Quote:
    引用第49楼channing于2006-12-01 14:08发表的:
    Shut yourself up in a little temple in a remote part of the mountain. Devote your time to meditation and in this way attain true realization."

wow.....that's why recluses are very intelligent and full of wisdom..

and the forum is full of information,I think I should quit~~
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-01 18:57 | [51 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ radiator /'reidieitə/ n. 辐射体,散热器/片 ]

Quote:
    引用第50楼乖老鼠于2006-12-01 15:01发表的:
    all of your articles are so long
    it is hard for me to understand

Generally,zen is easy to understand,but hard to act.
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-02 12:53 | [52 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ partly /'pa:tli/ ad. 部分地,在一定程度上 ]

The Sound of One Hand

The master of Kennin temple was Mokurai, Silent Thunder. He had a little protégé named Toyo who was only twelve years old. Toyo saw the older disciples visit the master's room each morning and evening to receive instruction in sanzen or personal guidence in which they were given koans to stop mind-wandering.

Toyo wished to do sanzen also.

"Wait a while," said Mokurai. "You are too young."

But the child insisted, so the teacher finally consented.

In the evening little Toyo went at the proper time to the threshold of Mokurai's sanzen room. He struck the gong to announce his presence, bowed respectfully three times outside the door, and went to sit before the master in respectful silence.

"You can hear the sound of two hands when they clap together," said Mokurai. "Now show me the sound of one hand."

Toyo bowed and went to his room to consider this problem. From his window he could hear the music of the geishas. "Ah, I have it!" he proclaimed.

The next evening, when his teacher asked him to illustrate the sound of one hand, Toyo began to play the music of the geishas.

"No, no," said Mokurai. "That will never do. That is not the sound of one hand. You've not got it at all."

Thinking that such music might interrupt, Toyo moved his abode to a quiet place. He meditated again. "What can the sound of one hand be?" He happened to hear some water dripping. "I have it," imagined Toyo.

When he next appeared before his teacher, he imitated dripping water.

"What is that?" asked Mokurai. "That is the sound of dripping water, but not the sound of one hand. Try again."

In vain Toyo meditated to hear the sound of one hand. He heard the sighing of the wind. But the sound was rejected.

He heard the cry of an owl. This was also refused.

The sound of one hand was not the locusts.

For more than ten times Toyo visited Mokurai with different sounds. All were wrong. For almost a year he pondered what the sound of one hand might be.

At last Toyo entered true meditation and transcended all sounds. "I could collect no more," he explained later, "so I reached the soundless sound."

Toyo had realized the sound of one hand.
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-02 12:55 | [53 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ garbage /'ga:bid3ə/ n. 废料,垃圾 ]

My Heart Burns Like Fire

Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come to America, said: "My heart burns like fire but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes." He made the following rules which he practiced every day of his life.

* In the morning before dressing, light incense and meditate.

* Retire at a regular hour. Partake of food at regular intervals. Eat with moderation and never to the point of satisfaction.

* Receive a guest with the same attitude you have when alone. When alone, maintain the same attitude you have in receiving guests.

* Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.

* When an opportunity comes do not let it pass you by, yet always think twice before acting.

* Do not regret the past. Look to the future.

* Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the loving heart of a child.

* Upon retiring, sleep as if you had entered your last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes.

顶端 Posted: 2006-12-03 12:29 | [54 楼]
    jjc357

头衔: 1010幕後黑手@
    等级: 荣誉会员
    家族: 懶人主義小組
    发贴: 9380
    威望: 1
    浮云: 88
    在线等级:
    注册时间: 2006-11-28
    最后登陆: 2015-11-03

5come5帮你背单词 [ turbulent /'tə:bjulənt/ a. 狂暴的,混乱的,动乱的 ]

大家多指教哈
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-03 22:35 | [55 楼]
    silkroad

头衔: 珍惜青春梦一场 珍惜相聚的时光
    等级: 前途无量
    家族: 菠韬汹勇
    发贴: 5819
    威望: 0
    浮云: 1592
    在线等级:
    注册时间: 2005-10-19
    最后登陆: 2011-05-23

5come5帮你背单词 [ doorway /'do:wei/ n. 出入口 ]

i will come to here usually...

it is a paradise where you can improve your english and meditate about life itself.

PS:thanks laputa!
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-05 10:19 | [56 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ lay /lei/ v. 放置,放下,覆盖,铺,砌,安置,布置,产卵,生蛋 ]

Eshun's Departure

When Eshun, the Zen nun, was past sixty and about to leave this world, she asked some monks to pile up wood in the yard.

Seating herself firmly in the center of the funeral pyre, she had it set fire around the edges.

"O nun!" shouted one monk, "is it hot in there?"

"Such a matter would concern only a stupid person like yourself," answered Eshun.

The flames arose, and she passed away.
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-05 19:27 | [57 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ margin /'ma:d3in/ n. 页边,边缘,余地 ]

Reciting Sutras

A farmer requested a Tendai priest to recite sutras for his wife, who had died. After the recitation was over the farmer asked: "Do you think my wife will gain merit from this?"

"Not only your wife, but all sentient beings will benefit from the recitation of sutras," answered the priest.

"If you say all sentient beings will benefit," said the farmer, "my wife may be very weak and others will take advantage of her, getting the benefit she should have. So please recite sutras just for her."

The priest explained that it was the desire of a Buddhist to offer blessings and wish merit for every living being.

"That is a fine teaching," concluded the farmer, "but please make one exception. I have a neighbor who is rough and mean to me. Just exclude him from all those sentient beings."
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-06 19:42 | [58 楼]
    laputa

年度之星奖
    在线等级:

5come5帮你背单词 [ concise /kən'sais/ a. 简明的,简要的 ]

Quote:
    引用第56楼silkroad于2006-12-05 10:19发表的:
    i will come to here usually...

it is a paradise where you can improve your english and meditate about life itself.

PS:thanks laputa!

thanks for your support~~
    顶端 Posted: 2006-12-06 19:42 | [59 楼]
    «123 4 5678» Pages: ( 4/9 total )
    我来我网·5come5 Forum » 外语乐园

Total 0.014502(s) query 5, Time now is:05-23 17:50, Gzip enabled